Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Rainy Day in May

May had a rainy start in Annapolis today, but the flowers were blooming all over. I mean, of course, the May Day Baskets that are displayed by residences and businesses in downtown Annapolis and judged by the Garden Club of Olde Annapolis Towne.






For me, May Day always takes me back to our alma maters, St. Mary's College of Maryland and Washington College. Both Maryland schools have traditions for the first of May that are of a... naked variety. Washington's naked May Day romp on the campus green goes back decades. Students dance ribbons around the Maypole, read poetry and play games. The naked bike ride is an annual SMCM tradition in which many Seahawks participate, often painting their skin with the school colors of navy blue and gold. Other events, like a true hippie 'swap meet' have been added over the years.

The rain left me wanting an easy meal and a little warmth. I whipped up some tomato soup with spicy red pepper flakes for a little kick and a drizzle of basil-infused olive oil. Very simple. Gotta love a good bowl of warm tomato soup.



And a well-dressed Caesar salad. When I make this salad at home, I don't use the tough, white stalky part - just the deep green romaine leaves. That's also what I look for when we eat out, a good leafy green Caesar with enough croutons that most bites have that great crunch. A little parmesan cheese doesn't hurt, either. Well, I never said caesar was the healthiest salad...




I hope the rain and flowers are an auspicious start for a beautiful, blooming May... though I'm not sure my allergies will be able to handle all the pollen!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for shopping Groceries at Midnight!