Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tres de Mayo

We beat the crowds and celebrated the 5th of May early at Gina's Cantina in Millersville. Gina's is a colorful local hangout serving Mexican favorites like tacos, burritos, and a make-your-own chimichanga (but strangely, no Mexican beers on tap...?) The ambience is eclectic. You'll find a wall of wine cork art, a portrait of the Dos Equis man, piƱatas hanging from the ceiling and neon Corona beer signs galore. In the nighttime, expect loud music and even louder conversations.



As always, I ordered the black bean soup. A bowl comes with chips, rice, and onions. The soup is not spicy, but thick and hearty with a comforting warmth.



The flavor took on a whole new dimension when I stole a bit of the cilantro lime sour cream off my husband's quesadilla. I could still taste the black beans, but with a tangy, citrus kick. It woke the soup up.

I saw a tray of hot sauces walk by and an idea struck. I chose a basic red pepper sauce from St. Michael's, MD to add to my soup and asked for a little more of that pretty green cilantro lime sour cream. Hot sauce to amp it up, and sour cream to cool it down. Just the way I make it at home!

Added crushed tortilla chips and rice, to make a disastrously messy, but delish soup.



I wouldn't describe Gina's as "authentic Mexican cuisine," but more like an interesting interpretation of Tex-Mex. Their specials are usually fusion-inspired, like their "Tuscan taco" with roasted red peppers.

I'll be sticking with the black bean soup and a li'l cilantro lime sour cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for shopping Groceries at Midnight!