Saturday, July 16, 2011

Downtown Detour

When I heard about the new Metropolitan Kitchen & Lounge, I looked at the menu first. The choices enticed me. Then I saw the beer list and I was really intrigued.

With my love of creamy, malty ales, I first tried the Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cream Ale. The beer was good and a bit of a mystery. Dark and smoky, but somehow still summery.



The kitchen was running a bit slow tonight, for which our waiter graciously apologized, so we sampled another beer. I wanted to try the Brooklyn Lager, but our waiter talked me in to the Brooklyn Summer Ale. Another mysteriously summer-y ale, with hops and malt playing nicely together, which is hard to do.



Our small plates came out and they were worth the short wait! The mac and cheese was just what the menu promised. Nutty and creamy aged cheddar. What is the green sauce? I don't know, but it was tasty.

Aged Cheddar Mac & Cheese
On to the chicken & waffles. This sweet but oh-so-savory dish is made perfect by the rosemary-infused maple syrup. Think: pancakes and maple bacon, but less salty and more crunchy.

Chicken & Waffles

We finished our drinks on the rooftop just to take in the view.

Basil growing on the rooftop of Metropolitan

Normally, yelling out on the street as a form of advertising doesn't grab me, but on the long walk back from Metropolitan, somehow it worked.  We were invited into level for a cocktail and couldn't resist.

zested citrus fruit on the bar at level

My husband saw Applejack on the wall and craved a cocktail, so he told the bartender "Surprise Me!" good thing:

Applejack Cocktail


I tried the deconstructed pina colada. Pineapple, coconut, and just the right hint of lime.

deconstructed pina colada
In downtown Annapolis, detours can lead you to unexpected and awesome places.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for shopping Groceries at Midnight!